The museum was founded in 1944. It contains archaeological, natural, ethnographic, folk art, numismatic exhibits reflecting the cultural and historical past of the Ukmerge region from the 5th to the 19th century. Exhibitions in the Museum’s Exhibition Hall present museum collections, exhibitions prepared by other Lithuanian museums, works by Lithuanian artists. The museum offers an impressive climbing to the old fire station tower. It is the 18-meter-high building, which was built at the end of the 19th century. At the top of the tower there is an observation deck that opens a magnificent panorama of the town.