This church adorns the city centre. The history of the church is very colourful. At first, there was a wooden church here. The wooden church was burnt down. Then there was a brick Orthodox church. During the First World War, the German occupiers turned the church into a cereal storehouse. In 1925,there was a fire in the church, after which it was entrusted to the congregation of the Marian monks. The monks repaired the church, built a brick monastery building, but could not settle there, because the Soviet government nationalized the monastery building and the church itself. In the Soviet period, the church was used as a chamber of marriage. After restoring the independence of Lithuania, the church regained its true function.
Photo by Laimonas Ciūnys.